Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Kerry On

Sorry it has taken me so long to update on my FANTASTIC WEEKEND!

Like I said in my last post, I celebrated Valentine's Day (which was spectacular) :). Then this past weekend I went on a school trip to the Ring of Kerry.

Now for those of you who do not know what the Ring of Kerry is; It is on the west coast of Ireland in County Kerry. It is the coast line and a tourist's Dream. It a trail that takes you along the coast to see beautiful landscapes that you would not be able to see any where else in Ireland.

We left Friday afternoon to start off the journey. The best part was that it was only 2 1/2 hours away from Cork! Short travel times makes Sara a happy person :)

On friday, we stopped off at the Kerry Bog village, which was pretty much a replication of a bog village that would have existed in the 1800s. It was really neat to be able to see how they would have lived.

After that we got to the Ring of Kerry Hotel (really nice) and had our first homemade dinner. *disclaimer: every meal was homemade and ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!* The desserts were even better :) That night was filled with Irish dancing and traveling to a local pub, great way to end the night!

Then on saturday we ventured out to Valentia Island and saw Cliffs, a Dairy farm and went to where the transcontinental cable (the one that connected Europe with the US) was established. It was an exhausting day filled with beautiful sites and a lot of walking. We also saw a ring fort (I nerded out). That night we had another delicious dinner, followed by a Gaelic football demonstration and trivia at the bar in the lobby. Saturday overall was a really solid day :)

On sunday, we had breakfast and left the hotel. We finished the Ring of Kerry tour and then made our way back to cork. However along the way we stopped at these little places to take pictures. There was this one place that took my breath away. *we had perfect weather the entire weekend, which NEVER happens*. We got off the bus and automatically I see the ocean, a beach, cliffs, and islands in the background. Then I turn around and I see mountains, fields of grass AND a rainbow. Then it starts to drizzle. That will be the only time in my life that, that will EVER happen to me again, to be able to see and experience all of that in a matter of minutes. It was an amazing feeling and I am so lucky to have experienced it.

Needless to say my weekend was absolutely amazing. I seriously recommend going if you ever visit Ireland (which everyone should).

After that weekend, nothing could compare, so this week has been pretty boring so far.

Monday was the usual.

Tuesday was FAT TUESDAY! However, in Ireland it's called Pancake Day. I think I can live with that ;) I splurged on pancakes and brownies...I felt sick this morning, but at the time it was delicious :)

The rest of the week will be relaxing and just preparing the rest of my travel plans for the last 3 months!

I cannot believe I only have 4 more weeks of classes and 3 more months left. Time is flying by!

Gotta take advantage of it now!

xo
Sara Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment